Prison Fellowship Ministries Records
Correspondence, memos, reports, newspaper clippings and other documents describing the founding and development of Prison Fellowship. Among the subjects covered in the files are the part played in the organization by Charles Colson, the realities of prison ministry, the conditions of prisons in the United States, relations between organizations involved in prison ministries, the testimonies of inmates, and the relationship between PFM and its constituents. Persons featured included those significant in Colson's life and spiritual development. Also documented is the production of the commercially released motion picture, BORN AGAIN, based on Colson's book by the same title.
- Created: 1961, 1975-1989, 1990, undated
Conditions Governing Access
The following are closed until January 1, 2044:
Conditions Governing Use
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Evangelical agency ministering to prisoners; founded in 1976 by presidential advisor and convict Charles Colson; major activities of the organization included preaching the Gospel to prisoners, providing nuture and fellowship for Christian prisoners, counseling prisoners families and lobbying to prison reform.
81.65 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Records were created by the staff of Prison Fellowship and given to the Billy Graham Center Archives, 1984-1985. The materials for this collection were received by the Center in May and June 1984, August 1985, and October 1991 from Prison Fellowship Ministries.
Accessions: 84-75, 84-77, 84-87, 85-106, 91-81
Revised, January 25, 1991
Revised, June 23, 1993
Updated, February 21, 2001
Other Descriptive Information
- Authors and publishers -- United States.
- Authors and publishers.
- Belief and doubt.
- Born again (Motion picture)
- Born again.
- Capital punishment.
- Capra, Frank, 1897-1991.
- Christian education -- United States.
- Christian education of adults.
- Christian education.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution -- United States.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution.
- Christian literature.
- Christianity Today International.
- Christianity and politics.
- Christianity today.
- Church and social problems -- United States.
- Church and social problems.
- Church and state -- United States.
- Church and state.
- Church work with prisoners -- United States.
- Church work with prisoners.
- Church work with women -- United States.
- Church work with women.
- Colson, Charles W.
- Communication in organizations -- United States
- Communication in organizations.
- Crime -- United States.
- Criminals -- Rehabilitation
- Criminals -- Rehabilitation -- United States.
- Criminals -- United States.
- Discrimination -- United States.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Canada.
- Evangelistic work -- Michigan.
- Evangelistic work -- Montana.
- Evangelistic work -- New Mexico.
- Evangelistic work -- Tennessee.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Washington (D.C.)
- Evangelistic work -- Washington (State)
- Evangelistic work -- West Virginia.
- Evangelistic work.
- Falwell, Jerry.
- Fund raising.
- Halfway houses
- Halfway houses -- United States.
- Hispanic Americans -- Religious life.
- Hispanic Americans.
- Hughes, Harold E. (Harold Everett), 1922 1996.
- Jones, Dean, 1931-2015.
- Journalism, Religious -- United States.
- Journalism, Religious.
- Legislators -- United States.
- Liddy, G. Gordon.
- Life sentence.
- Lobbying -- United States.
- Loux, Gordon D.
- Mass media in religion -- United States.
- Mass media in religion.
- Motion pictures in church work -- United States.
- Motion pictures in church work.
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- PTL (Organization)
- Perkins, John,
- Prayer groups -- United States.
- Prayer groups.
- Prison Fellowship.
- Prison administration
- Prison administration -- United States.
- Prison chaplains
- Prison chaplains -- United States.
- Prison furloughs
- Prison furloughs -- United States.
- Prison reformers
- Prison reformers -- United States.
- Prison riots.
- Prisoners -- United States.
- Prisons -- United States
- Prisons -- United States -- Officials and employees.
- Publishers and publishing -- Great Britain.
- Publishers and publishing -- United States.
- Racism -- United States.
- Recidivism -- United States.
- Religious institutions.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. (Francis August)
- Sex role.
- Social change.
- United States -- Politics and government.
- Van Ness, Daniel W.,
- Voluntarism -- Religious aspects -- United States.
- Voluntarism -- Religious aspects.
- Watergate Affair, 1972-1974.
- Weyerhauser, C. Davis.
- Wheaton '83
- Women -- Religious life.
- Worship (Christian)
- Collection 274 Records of Prison Fellowship Ministries
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note