J.B. Russell Papers
Scope and Contents
The Russell papers contains biographical information, in the form of genealogical information. Correspondence in the collection contains correspondence sent and received in the form of family letters, letters from Elizabeth Alexander, from Elbert and H. W. Sutcliffe, letters to Elsie Isabel Gunn Russell and various postcards. Photographs of the Russell family are found in the collection. Along with J. B. Russell's papers are several diaries of Edna Russell (November 19, 1894-June 2, 1908). Various clippings and articles retained by Russell are included with several speeches and essays written by Russell. The collection also contains secondary materials and publications, as well as memorabilia.
- Created: 1848-1989
- Other: Majority of material found in 1893-1930
- Other: Date acquired: 1972
- Russell, J. B. (John Benjamin) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Duplication may be restricted if copying could cause damage to items.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by series with folder level control.
Source of Acquisition
Method of Acquisition
The collection, including hundreds of textbooks later transferred to Northern Illinois University's Blackwell Collection in 1996, was donated to Wheaton College in 1972.
Hundreds of textbooks were transferred to Northern Illinois University's Blackwell Collection in 1996.
Other Descriptive Information
The John B. Russell collection documents the professional and family life of an educator and Wheaton College alumnus. It provides a look into the readings, writings and correspondence of a Progressive era educator and resident of the Wheaton area.
- Clippings Files
- College Church in Wheaton (Ill.)
- Education -- Illinois -- DuPage County -- Sources.
- Financial Records
- Russell, Edna, 1886-
- Russell, Edna, 1886- -- Diaries.
- Russell, J. B. (John Benjamin), 1869- -- Manuscripts.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- J.B. Russell Papers
- Buswell Library Special Collections Staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note