Collection 086 Records of the International Christian Broadcasters
Scope and Contents
Materials include data on the International Communications Congress in Tokyo (1970), Muslim Conference (1974), and survey questionnaire for ICB's World Directory of Religious Radio and Television Broadcasting (1973). Photographs total almost 2,000 images; collection contains over 100 audio tapes. Persons featured include evangelical figures involved in religious broadcasting, such as Ben Armstrong, Eugene Berterman, Robert Bowman, Charles Fuller, Billy Graham, Clarence Jones and Abe Thiessen, and others.
- Created: 1937-1978
- Other: Majority of material found in 1937-1978
Conditions Governing Access
INTERNATIONAL CHRISTIAN BROADCASTERS CONFERENCES
World Conference on Missionary Radio, 1958
World Conference on Missionary Radio, 1961
World Conference on Christian Communication, 1961
London Conference, 1967
World Communications Congress, 1970
World Conference, 1974
Children's Television Roundtable, 1975
33.65 Cubic Feet (28 Boxes (RC), Audio Tapes, Books, Filmstrips, Microfilm, Negatives, Oversize Materials, Periodicals, Phonograph Records, Photographs, Slides. )
Language of Materials
Arrangement of Material
Numerous folders are available detailing the planning, organization, and events of various conferences and congresses sponsored by ICB. The most complete is the information for the Tokyo Congress (folders 31-1 through 32-16) held March 17-23, 1970. Information found in this series of folders includes registration materials, schedules, programs, correspondence with participants, copies of various addresses, correspondence (with airlines, travel agencies, and hotels), scrapbook, photograph album, and the published report from the Congress which included a copy of each address. Tapes were also made of many of the meetings and are described in the Audio Tape Location Record (T 54-57, 62-65, 67-73, and 96). Details and listing of each meeting are available on the index to the tape collection. Materials from the Muslim Conference held in February 1974 are found in folders 27-23 through 27-36. Available information includes pre-conference planning correspondence, copies of papers delivered, registrations, and plans for the conference. In 1975 ICB sponsored a Children's Television Roundtable for Christian communicators interested in developing programming for children. Materials found in folders 11-18 to 11-26 include news clippings, participant evaluations, planning materials, and reports. Information is also available on conferences and congresses in which ICB participated such as International Congress on World Evangelization, Space Age Communications Conference, Missions Advance Research and Communication Center, Research Seminar, Ecumenical Satellite Commissions meetings, and All Africa Conference.
ICB compiled and published data on world religious broadcasting in a compendium. Galley proofs from The World Directory are found in folders 35-3 to 35-9. Data was collected regarding planning, funding, format, finances, and procedures and can be found in the records. The survey responses from each country are also available. Filed by country, they contain the name of each station, location, broadcasting frequency, times of programming, and types of programming. Records are available in boxes 12, 14, 15, and 16, and folders 1-1 to 1-3.
The official publication of ICB was the periodical known as the ICB Bulletin. Correspondence, layouts, mailing procedures, mailing lists, copy, subscriptions, themes, and articles are found in folders 5-28 through 5-43 and 7-4, and boxes 8-10. Folders 22-12 to 23-51 contain numerous clippings on assorted subjects. These files were apparently used as resource materials for articles and filler in the Bulletin. Topics include video cassettes, Christian communication, computers, cross cultural communication, education and use of media, films, microwave, one-liners, satellites, television, women's file, and youth.
Financial information may be found in various records such as bank statements in folders 3-1 to 4-5, bookkeeping/accounting files in folders 4-16 to 5-18, check registers in folders 11-10 to 11-17, financial reports in folders 21-20 to 21-25, and receipt books in folders 29-34 to 29-37. Again most of the records are found for the late 1960s and early 1970s under Abe Thiessen's directorship.
Correspondence and receipts to members of ICB for dues and gifts are found in folders 25-2 to 26-21. Two computer printouts of the ICB mailing list are found in folder 6-4. Other records include membership applications, certificates, prospective membership lists, and renewals.
A special project sponsored by ICB was the development of a transistor receiver designed especially to meet the needs of field missionaries. Blueprints, architectural designs, correspondence, research data, cabinet research, project bidders, donors, order cards, reports, specifications for production, and service manuals are examples of the records found in folders 32-24 to 33-32. The receivers were designed, built, and distributed by the organization to missionaries in Africa and South America.
Correspondence files comprise a large portion of the collection. General correspondence files are found in folders 17-21 to 18-45. The files are arranged alphabetically within each year and then chronologically by date. Other correspondence files exist for organizations with whom ICB conducted business, donors to the organization, board members, and radio station. Specific correspondents include David Chao - The Lutheran Voice; David Daniell - Radio-Television education, Mexico; Gene Farrell - Missionary Tapes, Inc.; A. J. Chamberlain - Prairie Bible Institute, Alberta, BC, Canada; Paul Schumaker - Family Stations, Inc.; Philip A. Booth - Radio Worldwide, London; Thomas Duncan - Church of God of Prophecy; Howard W. Eppler - Back to the Bible Broadcast; Don R. Falkenburg - Missionary Radio, Inc.; J. E. Goodwin, Jr. - Baptist Mission, Seoul, Korea; William E. Jacobson - Emmaus Bible School, Nairobi, Kenya; Vernon K. McLellan - Sound of Youth, Wittier, CA; Slavic Gospel Association; Viggo Soggard - Voice of Peace, Chieugmai, Taiwan; Robert B. Starkey - Far East Broadcasting Company, Australia; Tom Watson Jr. - The Evangelical Alliance Mission; Timothy Yu - Hong Kong Baptist College; Shirley Burton - Pacific Union Conference of Seventh Day Adventist; Taiwan Radio Fellowship; Central Africa Broadcasting Company, Inc.; Gospel Broadcasting Mission; Latin American Mission; Christian Radio Missionary Fellowship; Mennonite Broadcasts, Inc.; Overseas Radio and Television; ELWA; West Indies Mission; Howard Payne - World Vision; Bethel College and Seminary; Ecumenical Satellite Commissions; and James Irwin- Highflight.
Other organizational and miscellaneous materials in the collection include copies of the Monday Morning Memorandum (folders 27-16 to 27-19). These memos were sent by the Executive Director to all Board members, keeping everyone updated on ICB activities. State department background notes on various foreign countries are found in folders
1-34 to 2-76. They provide short sketches of each country, with population figures, climate, ethnic groups, predominant religious, and economic status. Folders 33-39 to
33-48 contain travel diaries from a trip made by Richard Wolff in 1967. Data includes discussion of people he met and radio stations he visited in this tour of Asian countries. Some preliminary contacts were made in preparation for the 1970 Tokyo Congress.
Several types of material were removed from the collection such as slides, negatives, photographs, audio tapes, filmstrips, books, and periodicals. The audio tapes contain recordings from the missionary radio station ELWA in Liberia, speeches, ICB Annual Day of Prayer messages, sound effects, testimonies, and proceedings of an ICB Board Meeting. Please consult various location records for detailed listings.
Additions and Accruals
Accession 79-28, 79-71, 80-26
April 18, 1980
Mary Ann Buffington
- Africa Inland Mission.
- Armstrong, Ben.
- Assemblies of God.
- Bayly, Joseph.
- Bertermann, Eugene R.
- Bowman, Robert H.
- Bright, Bill.
- Christian Broadcasting Network (U.S.)
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Africa, East.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Africa.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Asia.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Congresses.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Europe.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- North America.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- Oceania.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance -- Missions -- South America.
- Christian life.
- Christianity and culture.
- Christianity and other religions
- Christianity and other religions -- Islam
- Church and social problems.
- College students in missionary work.
- Dayton, Edward R.
- ELWA (Radio station : Monrovia, Liberia)
- Education -- Laos.
- Education -- Zambia.
- Evangelical Foreign Missions Association.
- Evangelistic work
- Evangelistic work -- Australia.
- Evangelistic work -- Belgium.
- Evangelistic work -- Brazil.
- Evangelistic work -- Canada.
- Evangelistic work -- Canary Islands.
- Evangelistic work -- Congresses.
- Evangelistic work -- France.
- Evangelistic work -- Germany.
- Evangelistic work -- Great Britain.
- Evangelistic work -- Guatemala.
- Evangelistic work -- Honduras.
- Evangelistic work -- Japan.
- Evangelistic work -- Mexico.
- Evangelistic work -- New Zealand.
- Evangelistic work -- Nigeria.
- Evangelistic work -- Paraguay.
- Evangelistic work -- Soviet Union.
- Evangelistic work -- Swaziland.
- Evangelistic work -- Uruguay.
- Evangelistic work -- Yugoslavia.
- Evangelistic work -- Zaire.
- Far East Broadcasting Company.
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
- Freed, Paul E.
- Fuller, Charles Edward,
- Graham, Billy, 1918-2018
- HCJB (Radio station : Quito, Ecuador)
- Hay, Ian M.
- Henry, Carl F. H.
- Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship.
- Interdenominational Foreign Mission Association of North America.
- International Christian Broadcasters.
- Irwin, James B.
- Islam -- Christianity.
- Jones, Bob,
- Jones, Clarence W.
- L'Abri (Organization)
- Latin America Mission.
- Mass media in missionary work.
- Mass media in religion
- Mass media in religion -- Congresses.
- Mass media in religion.
- Missions Advanced Research and Communications Center.
- Missions music.
- Missions to Muslims
- Missions to Muslims -- Congresses.
- Missions to Muslims.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- Muslims -- Algeria.
- Muslims -- Ethiopia.
- Muslims -- Lebanon.
- Muslims -- Senegal.
- National Association of Evangelicals.
- National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America.
- National Religious Broadcasters (U.S.)
- Padilla, C. Rene.
- Pierce, Bob,
- Radio in missionary work.
- Radio in religion.
- Religious institutions.
- Robertson, Pat.
- Schaeffer, Francis A.
- Sudan Interior Mission.
- Taylor, Clyde W.
- Television in religion.
- Thiessen, Abe G.
- Trans World Radio.
- Tubman, William V. S.,
- Voice of Tangiers (Radio station : Tanger, Morocco)
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- World Conference on Missionary Radio.
- World Council of Churches.
- Collection 086 Records of the International Christian Broadcasters
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script