Collection 473 Oral History Interview with Clayton L. Berg, Jr.
Scope and Contents
Oral historyinterviews with Clayton L. Berg, known as "Mike," former missionary, educator and president of Latin America Mission. Topics discussed include Berg's youth, family, conversion, education (including Wheaton Grad School), youth pastorate at Western Springs church, marriage and family, language training at Spanish Language Institute, Hogar Biblico, teaching and administration at the Latin America Biblical Seminary iin Costa Rica, administration of LAM's Education Division, training national staff and church leaders, transition to national authority of ministry, Billy Graham's 1958 Caribbean Crusade, Evangelism-in-Depth, Editorial Caribe, LAM restructuring and development of CLAME (Community of Latin American Evangelical Ministries) in 1971, influence of liberation theology, career vs. short-term missionaries issue, LAM's Christ for the City program in Miami and Latin America, Berg's presidency of LAM, inter- mission cooperation, and recollections of colleagues (Ken Strachan, Wilton Nelson, Ruben Lores, Dayton Roberts, David Howard, Charles Troutman, Orlando Costas, Horace Fenton, Richard Foulkes, Juan Isais, Paul Pretiz). The time period covered by the interviews is 1928 to 1993.
Mike Berg was interviewed by Paul A. Ericksen January 11 through 14, 1993 at the Latin America Mission headquarters in Miami, Florida.
- Created: 1993
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full name: Clayton Leonard "Mike" Berg, Jr.
Vocation: Missionary, author, educator, administrator
Birth date: February 16, 1928, in Drumwright, Oklahoma, raised in California
Parents: Clayton Leonard Berg, Sr., and Nannie Mae Wood Siblings: One younger sister Marital Status: Married to Jo Ann Schell Children: Stephen (born 1951), Catherine (born 1954), Joan (born 1956)
-1950, Westmont College (BA in Social Science) 1950-1954, Dallas Theological Seminary, ThM 1954-1956, Wheaton College Graduate School, Christian Education (completed thesis on the field in 1962, M.A.) Eastern College, L.H.D. honorary degree
1956 Ordained at Calvary Church, Placentia, California 1956 Joined Latin America Mission (LAM) 1956-1957 Spanish Language Institute course 1956-1966 Seminario Biblico Latinoamericano, professor of Christian education, Academic dean 1966-1968 LAM Education Division director 1968-1976 President of Editorial Caribe, Spanish language publishing house 1976-1989 LAM President 1990-1995 LAM Senior Mission Associate
Other significant information:
Contributed short-term teaching to theological schools in Latin and North America Authored articles and two books in Spanish (on pedagogy and Bible study methods), as well as co-authoring two books: The Gospel People of Latin America and Spontaneous Combustion: Grassroots Christianity, Latin American Style Thesis at Wheaton College Graduate School entitled "Basic Steps Toward the Development of Lay Leadership in the Costa Rican Church" Member of organizational boards: Evangelical Foreign Missions Association, Fuller Theological Seminary, American Society of Missiology (board of publications), Media Associates International, Latin America Mission (Trustee Emeritus).
8 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Clayton L. Berg, Jr., in January 1993.
June 26, 2001
Paul A. Ericksen
- Berg, Clayton L., 1928-
- Berg, Jo Ann.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- Protestant churches.
- Children of missionaries.
- Christ for the City.
- Christian education -- Costa Rica.
- Christian education -- Philosophy.
- Christian education -- Study and teaching.
- Christian education.
- Christian leadership.
- Christian life.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution -- Latin America.
- Christian literature -- Publication and distribution.
- Christian literature.
- City missions -- Costa Rica.
- City missions -- Latin America.
- City missions.
- Comunidad Latinoamericano de Ministerios Evangelicos.
- Costas, Orlando E.
- Editorial Caribe.
- Evangelistic work -- Caribbean Area.
- Evangelistic work -- Costa Rica.
- Evangelistic work -- Latin America.
- Evangelistic work -- Study and teaching.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fenton, Horace L.
- Fuller, Charles Edward, 1887-1968.
- Graham, Billy, 1918-2018.
- Howard, David M.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Costa Rica.
- Indigenous church administration -- Latin America.
- Language in missionary work.
- Latin America Mission.
- Latin Americans.
- Liberation theology.
- Lores, Ruben.
- M. Isáis, Juan (Martínez Isáis)
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Mexico.
- Missions -- Colombia.
- Missions -- Costa Rica.
- Missions -- Interdenominational cooperation -- Colombia.
- Missions -- Interdenominational cooperation.
- Missions -- Latin America.
- Nelson, Wilton M.
- Organizational change -- United States.
- Organizational change.
- Pretiz, Paul E., 1926-
- Religious institutions.
- Roberts, W. Dayton.
- Seminario Biblico Latinoamericano.
- Strachan, Harry.
- Strachan, Robert Kenneth,
- Theological seminaries -- Costa Rica.
- Theological seminaries.
- Troutman, Charles Henry, Jr.
- Women missionaries.
- Collection 473 Oral History Interview with Clayton L. Berg, Jr.
- Paul Ericksen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script