Collection 472 Oral History Interview with Paul A. Contento
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Paul A. Contento in which he discusses his childhood, conversion, attendance at Moody Bible Institute, going to China in 1928 as a China Inland Mission worker, evangelistic work in Ningxia province (Inner Mongolia) and work among university students in southwest and northwest China, founding of the Inter-Varsity student movements in China, Singapore and Vietnam; Calvin Chao; the Sino-Japanese war; the communist takeover in China; founding of Singapore Bible College; evangelistic work in Singapore and Vietnam among high school and university students; and the war in Vietnam. The time period covered by the interview is 1900 to 1992.
Paul Contento was interviewed by Robert Shuster on December 9, 1992 at Contento's residence in OMF's retirement center, Lammermuir House, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Created: 19992
Conditions Governing Access
A portion of interview T2 is restricted until December 31, 2042.
Full Name: Paul Alfred Contento
Birth: August 14, 1905, in Volentare, Italy
Death: August 1, 1997
Parents: Italian immigrants to the US, Edward & Carmilla (Carmela) De Missaris Contento
Siblings: Four brothers and sisters
Marital Status: Married to Maida (Mary) E. M Bolster on June 10, 1933 (Mary died November 14, 1985)
Children: Isobel Ruth, born September 15, 1940
Conversion: At father's funeral
Ordination: Northern Baptist Convention
1924-1927 - Moody Bible Institute
1937 - Henry Martyn Islamic School, India
1938 - Arabic language study in Jerusalem
1946-1949 - University of California - Berkeley, BS
1928 - Joined China Inland Mission (later Overseas Missionary Fellowship)
1928-1951 - China: Men's language school in Anqing (1928-1929); Evangelism and church planting in Zhongwei, Ningxia, Inner Mongolia (1929-1936); Taught English in Chongking University, Szechuan University, Northwestern University (1939-1951); Evangelistic and discipleship ministry among university students (1939-1951)
1951-1960 - Singapore: Helped found and taught at Singapore Bible College; Launched Inter-School Christian Fellowship; Worked with IVF in Singapore; Taught at Nanyang University
1960-1975 - Vietnam: Founded and worked with Inter-Varsity in Vietnam; Taught at Van Hanh University in Saigon; Started IVF program in high schools
1975-1982 - Philippines: Taught at Biblical Seminary of the Philippines; Chaplain to the Norwegian Alliance of Social Workers
1982 - Retired from OMF on June 30
1982-1989 - Dean of students at the Chinese Christian Witness Seminary, Berkeley
Other significant information:
Was a participant at founding of Chinese Inter-Varsity movement in Kunming.Was often featured as a speaker at church meetings and conferences in the US.
3.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Paul Contento in December 1992.
September 20, 2002
Paul A. Ericksen
- Adeney, David H. (David Howard)
- Bible colleges.
- Chao, Calvin.
- China -- History -- 1937-1945.
- China -- History -- 1949-
- China -- History -- Civil War, 1945-1949.
- China -- History.
- China Inter-Varsity Evangelical Christian Students Fellowship.
- Christian and Missionary Alliance.
- Christian life.
- Church work with students.
- College students -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Communism -- China.
- Contento, Maida.
- Contento, Paul A.
- Evangelistic work -- China.
- Evangelistic work -- Singapore.
- Evangelistic work -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Vietnam.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fellowship of Evangelical Students (Singapore)
- Glover, Robert Hall, 1871-1947.
- Gray, James M.
- Houghton, Frank, 1894-1972.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Vietnam.
- International Fellowship of Evangelical Students.
- McPherson, Aimee Semple, 1890-1944.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- Singapore.
- Missions -- Vietnam.
- Missions to Muslims -- China.
- Missions to Muslims.
- Moody Bible Institute.
- Overseas Missionary Fellowship.
- Page, Isaac.
- Persecution -- China.
- Rader, Paul, 1879-1938.
- Revivals -- China.
- Singapore Bible College.
- Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945.
- Tong Doan Sinh-Vien Hoc-Sinh Tin-Lanh.
- Vietnam War, 1961 1975
- Woods, C. Stacey, 1909-1983.
- Collection 472 Oral History Interview with Paul A. Contento
- Paul Ericksen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script