Collection 122 Oral History Interview with Gladys M. Fleckles
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Gladys Marie Fleckles (1946-2006) in which she describes her short term missionary experience with OMF in Japan. Other topics include her graduate work at Wheaton, undergraduate study at John Brown University, and work in the admissions department of Wheaton Graduate School. The time period covered by the interview is roughly 1946-1980.
Gladys Fleckles was interviewed by Mr. John Svadbik twice in May 1980. The time period covered by the interviews is 1972-1980. Due to a recorder malfunction most of the first tape is blank.
- Created: 1980
Conditions Governing Access
There are not restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Gladys Marie Fleckles, born April 14, 1946, was the oldest of four children of Virginia Marie and William Henry Fleckles. After graduating from a Chicago suburban high school, Fleckles worked as a staff assistant for the national buying offices of Sears, Roebuck and Company. In 1967 she went to John Brown University where she received a B.A. degree in Theology/Philosophy in 1971.
In 1972 Fleckles went to Japan as part of a short term missions project with Overseas Missionary Fellowship (OMF). Serving as Administrative Assistant in OMF's Japan headquarters located in Sapporo, her duties included creating and conducting personal development study series for Japanese housewives, afternoon workshop sessions, mini-seminars, and annual weekend conferences for missionaries.
After Fleckles' return to the States, she worked as an assistant for Dr. John Robinson of the Billy Graham Center at Wheaton College. Some of her projects included coordinating a training workshop for Mexican leaders and assisting in a singles weekend conference. In 1976 she began work as a staff member in the Wheaton Graduate School in addition to her graduate work in counseling. In 1980 she served as Assistant to the Director of Admissions in the Wheaton Graduate School and resided in Wheaton. She later became Director of Graduate Affairs at California State University, Fullerton and lived in Irvine, California. She died April 22, 2006.
2.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center by Gladys Fleckles in May 1980.
August 15, 1980
Mary Ann Buffington
- Billy Graham Center.
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- Japan.
- Christian education -- Japan.
- Christian education.
- Christianity and culture.
- Church and state -- Japan.
- Church and state.
- Cities and towns -- Japan.
- Cities and towns.
- Culture shock.
- Education, Higher
- Education, Higher -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Japan.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fleckles, Gladys M.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Japan.
- Language in missionary work.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Japan -- Religion.
- Missions -- Japan.
- Missions, Medical -- Japan.
- Missions, Medical.
- Overseas Missionary Fellowship.
- Religious institutions.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Alumni.
- Wheaton College (Ill.) -- Employees.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Collection 122 Oral History Interview with Gladys M. Fleckles
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note