Collection 585 Oral History Interview with John B. Lutembeka
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with John B. Lutembeka in which he discusses his family and childhood in Tanzania, education in Uganda during the Idi Amin regime, conversion to the Christian faith while attending teacher's college; the development of his personal faith, the founding and growth of Big November Crusade Ministries; the rapid numerical growth of Christianity in Tanzania; the Tanzanian church's characteristics, strengths and weaknesses; his education at the Wheaton College Graduate School, and a comparison of the church in Tanzania and the United States. The time period covered by the interviews is 1969 to 2001.
John Lutembeka was interviewed by Bob Shuster on February 3, February 10, and March 10, 2003, at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 2003
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Full Name: John Bubelwa Lutembeka
Birth: November 11, 1953 in Bukoba, Tanzania
Parents: Blasseo? and Rosenlia? Lutembeka
Siblings: At least one elder brother
Marital Status: Married to Caroline Lutembeka
Children: David, Moses, Faith, Peace, Grace
Conversion: 1974 (confirmed in the Lutheran Church in 1969)
19??-1973 - St Bernard's College, Kiswera, Uganda (secondary boarding school)
1973-1975 - Teacher's College, Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania; graduated with a diploma in Education
19??-1982 - University of Dar-Es-Salaam; graduated with a BA in Commerce
198?-1989 - University of Dar-Es-Salaam; graduated with a MA in Business Administration, with a major in Finance
19??-2000 - International Correspondence Institute, Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania; graduated with a BA in Bible and Theology
2001-2003 - Wheaton College Graduate School; graduated in 2003 with a MA in Evangelism-Spiritual Formation
1973-1974 - Six months of national service in the Tanzanian army
198?-1992 - Teacher at a government school
1986-2001 - The Big November Crusade Ministries; co-founder, secretary-general, preacher (part-time volunteer until 1992)
2000-2001 - Attended the Amsterdam 2000 conference for evangelists and served as a Swahili translator; later helped organized evangelist training seminars in Tanzania as a follow-up to the conference
5.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Rev. John B. Lutembeka in February and March 2003.
Accession: 03-6, 03-8, 03-16
July 9, 2008
- Amin, Idi,
- Assemblies of God.
- Big November Crusade Ministries.
- Boarding schools -- Africa.
- Boarding schools -- Uganda.
- Boarding schools.
- Catholic Church
- Catholic Church -- Africa.
- Catholic Church -- Evangelicalism.
- Catholic Church -- Tanzania.
- Catholic Church -- Uganda.
- Christian converts from Islam.
- Christian education -- Tanzania.
- Christian education.
- Christian life.
- Church and state -- Tanzania.
- Church and state -- Uganda.
- Church and state.
- Church growth
- Church growth -- Tanzania.
- Conversion -- Christianity.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
- Evangelicalism -- Tanzania.
- Evangelistic invitations.
- Evangelistic sermons.
- Evangelistic work -- Africa, East.
- Evangelistic work -- Africa.
- Evangelistic work ?z Tanzania.
- Evangelistic work.
- Graham, Franklin
- Holy Spirit.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Tanzania.
- Interdenominational cooperation -- Tanzania.
- Interdenominational cooperation.
- Lutembeka, John B.
- Missions -- Tanzania.
- Missions to Muslims -- Tanzania.
- Missions to Muslims.
- Muslims -- Tanzania.
- Nyerere, Julius K. (Julius Kambarage),
- Organizational change
- Organizational change -- Tanzania.
- Pentecostalism -- Tanzania.
- Revivals -- Tanzania.
- September 11 Terrorist Attacks, 2001.
- Uganda -- History
- Uganda -- History -- 1979-
- Uganda -- Social conditions
- Uganda -- Social conditions -- 1979-
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Collection 585 Oral History Interview with John B. Lutembeka
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script