Collection 236 Records of Latin America Mission
Scope and Contents
Records of the mission, including correspondence, minutes, reports, memos, financial reports, policy statements, planning documents, promotional material, photographs, etc.
Documents describe the origins of LAM (particularly the contribution of the Strachan family); evangelistic, church planting, educational, medical, and literature activities (primarily in Colombia and Costa Rica, but also many other Latin American countries and the United States); the restructuring of the mission in the 1970s through the 1990s; and the development of Protestant churches and institutions in Latin America.
- Created: 1903-1994
Conditions Governing Access
See http://www2.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/GUIDES/236.htm#2 for restrictions.
Biographical or Historical Information
Evangelical mission agency; founded by Harry and Susan Strachan in Costa Rica, 1921; focused on church planting, evangelism, camping ministry, orphanage administration, Christian education, theological training, literature production, medical care, agricultural and community development, youth ministry, use of media for evangelism and nurture, and cooperation with other agencies; operation based in Costa Rica, focused there and in Colombia, although extending to other Latin American countries and communities in the U.S.; developed the Evangelism-in-Depth program to involve lay Christians at the local level in ongoing evangelism; actively sought to develop indigenous leaders; restructured in 1971 to become a part of the Communidad Latinoamericana de Ministerios Evangelicos, which consisted of ministries which LAM had helped started in various countries. This structure was dissolved in 1984. The mission continued and several institutions in other countries became independent.
0.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Other Descriptive Information
- Berg, Clayton L.
- Christian education.
- Christian literature -- Publishing.
- Christian literature.
- Church and state -- Colombia.
- Church and state.
- Church development, New.
- Church schools
- Church schools -- Latin America.
- Church work with students -- Latin America.
- Church work with students.
- Church work with youth -- Latin America.
- Church work with youth.
- Evangelicalism -- Colombia.
- Evangelicalism -- Costa Rica.
- Evangelicalism -- Latin America.
- Evangelicalism -- Mexico.
- Evangelistic work -- Biblical teaching.
- Evangelistic work -- Colombia.
- Evangelistic work -- Congresses
- Evangelistic work -- Congresses -- Latin America.
- Evangelistic work -- Latin America.
- Evangelistic work -- Philosophy.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fenton, Horace L.
- Fenton, Horace L. -- Sermons.
- Howard, David M.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Latin America.
- Landrey, J. Paul.
- Mass media in religion -- Latin America.
- Mass media in religion.
- Medical care
- Medical care -- Latin America.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Colombia.
- Missions -- Costa Rica.
- Padilla, C. Rene.
- Radio in missionary work.
- Radio in religion -- Latin America.
- Radio in religion.
- Roberts, Grace Strachan.
- Roberts, W. Dayton.
- Strachan, Harry.
- Strachan, Robert Kenneth,
- Strachan, Susan B.
- Theological seminaries
- Theological seminaries -- Costa Rica.
- Collection 236 Records of Latin America Mission
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note