Collection 169 Oral History Interviews with Harold P. Adolph
Scope and Contents
Oral History Interview with Harold Paul Adolph, in which he discusses his boyhood in China as the son of missionaries with China Inland Mission, conditions in China, his education at Wheaton College, medical education at the University of Pennsylvania, decision to become a missionary, and his ministry in Ethiopia as a medical missionary in African with Sudan Interior Mission; American missions in Ethiopia; family life on the mission field, and work with the Christian Medical Society. The time period covered by the interviews is 1932-1981.
Harold Adolph was interviewed by Wheaton College student Daniel Mercer on January 14 and 21, 1981.
- Created: 1981
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Biographical or Historical Information
Missionary doctor; born in China in 1932 to American missionary parents; after being educated as a doctor in the United States, went with his family to Ethiopia, where he served as a medical missionary; returned to the United States in 1974 because of the Communist revolution.
2.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Harold Adolph in January 1981.
- Adolph, Harold Paul.
- Amharic language.
- Animism -- Ethiopia.
- Children -- Religious life.
- Children of missionaries.
- China Inland Mission.
- Chinese -- Missions.
- Christian Medical Society.
- Christian education -- United States.
- Christian education.
- Christianity and other religions.
- Church and social problems.
- Church and state -- Ethiopia.
- Church and state.
- Communism -- China.
- Communism -- Ethiopia.
- Coptic Church.
- Culture shock.
- Edman, V. Raymond (Victor Raymond), 1900-1967.
- Education, Higher
- Education, Higher -- United States.
- Ethiopia -- History
- Ethiopia -- History -- Revolution, 1974.
- Ethiopia -- Religion.
- Evangelistic work -- China -- History
- Evangelistic work -- China -- History -- 1937-1945.
- Evangelistic work -- China -- History -- Civil War, 1945-1949.
- Evangelistic work -- China.
- Evangelistic work -- Ethiopia.
- Evangelistic work.
- Haile Selassie
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Ethiopia.
- Islam -- Relations -- Christianity.
- Medical care
- Medical care -- Ethiopia.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries -- Leaves and furloughs.
- Missionaries -- Training of -- United States.
- Missionaries -- United States.
- Missionaries' spouses.
- Missions -- China.
- Missions -- Ethiopia.
- Missions to Muslims -- Ethiopia.
- Missions to Muslims.
- Missions, Medical -- Ethiopia.
- Missions, Medical.
- Muslims -- Ethiopia.
- Narramore Christian Foundation.
- Persecution -- Ethiopia.
- Sino-Japanese Conflict, 1937-1945.
- Sudan Interior Mission.
- Tribes -- Ethiopia.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- World War, 1939-1945.
- Collection 169 Oral History Interviews with Harold P. Adolph
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note