Collection 508 Oral History Interviews with Barbara L. Collins
Scope and Contents
Oral history interview with Barbara Lynn (Miner) Collins in which she describes her childhood; family's religious background; conversion to Christianity; spiritual development in college and young professional life; acceptance as a missionary by Africa Inland Mission (AIM); arrival on the mission field in Kenya; work among the Rendile and Kikuyu peoples; raising children on the mission field; development of women's program at Africa Inland Church Missionary College; work among women refugees in Nairobi; and the relationship between Africa Inland Mission and Africa Inland Church. Other topics discussed include: training at the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL); the Collins family background as missionaries in Africa with AIM; first impressions of Kenya; translating the Bible into the Rendile language; reflections on Rendile culture; raising children on the mission field and reintegrating them to American culture; challenges of ministering to women in Nairobi; and reflections on the changing nature of western missions, advancements in missiology, and the need for better training in cross-cultural communications and urbans studies training for AIM missionaries. The time period covered by the interview is 1946 to 1995.
Barbara Collins was interviewed by Robert Shuster on January 13 and 30 and February 13, 1995 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1995
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Full Name: Barbara Lynn (Miner) Collins
Birth: October 11, 1946, in Portland, Oregon
Parents: Gordon & Evelyn Miner
Siblings: Two younger siblings, Diane and David
Marital Status: Married Malcolm Collins on February 28, 1976
Children: Shawn, Greg, Michelle, David, Daniel, Deion Thamani & Nicole Imani
Conversion: circa summer of 1958 at Baptist youth camp near Los Angeles, California
1964 - Graduated Hoover High School, Glendale, California
1964-1965 - Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, Washington
1965-1968 - Graduated University of California, Santa Barbara, BA in Sociology
1970 - California State University, Northridge, California, secondary teaching credentials
1975-1976 - University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, linguistic studies with Summer Institute of Linguistics
1975-1976 - Logos Bible Institute, Panorama City, California
1976-1977 - Fuller Theological Institute, School of World Missions, Pasadena, California, masters studies
1994-1995 - Graduated Wheaton College, Illinois, MA
1968-1971 - Served as probation officer in Los Angeles Probation Department, California
1971-1976 - Taught junior high math in Glendale, California
1976-1977 - Worked as free-lance editor for Gospel Light Publications, Glendale, California
1978-1984 - Served as missionary teaching religious studies and ministering to women with Africa Inland Mission (AIM) in northern Kenya among the Rendile
1984-1985 - Served as AIM missionary ministering to women in Ngong, Kenya
1985-1993 - Served as Wives Program Director at AIC Missionary College in Eldoret, Kenya for AIM
1994 - Served as AIM missionary with refugee program in Nairobi, Kenya
6.00 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Barbara Collins in January and February 1995.
Accession: 95-4, 95-12, 95-15
January 17, 2004
Christian F. Sawyer
- Africa Inland Church Missionary College (Eldoret, Kenya)
- Africa Inland Church.
- Africa Inland Mission.
- Bible -- Translating.
- Children of missionaries.
- Christian education -- Kenya.
- Christian education.
- Christian life.
- Christianity and culture -- Kenya.
- Christianity and culture.
- Church and state -- Kenya.
- Church and state.
- Church work with refugees -- Kenya.
- Church work with refugees.
- College students -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Collins, Barbara Lynn.
- Collins, Malcolm.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Crime and criminals
- Crime and criminals -- United States.
- Culture shock.
- Education (Christian theology)
- Education of women.
- Eldoret (Kenya)
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Kenya.
- Evangelistic work.
- Gration, John Alexander, 1929-
- Hildebrandt, Dorothy.
- Hildebrandt, Jonathan.
- Iltengezi, John.
- Indigenous church administration
- Indigenous church administration -- Kenya.
- Kikuyu (African people)
- Lake Avenue Congregational Church.
- Language in missionary work.
- Logos Bible Institute (Panorama City, Calif.)
- Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
- Miner, Evelyn.
- Miner, Gordon.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries -- Africa.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Missionaries -- Asia.
- Missionaries -- Kenya.
- Missionaries' spouses.
- Missions -- Educational work.
- Missions -- Africa.
- Missions -- International cooperation.
- Missions -- Kenya.
- Missions -- Rural work -- Kenya.
- Missions -- Rural work.
- Nairobi (Kenya)
- Ndemwa, George.
- Ndemwa, Joyce.
- Ngong (Kenya)
- Ortlund, Raymond C.
- Pacific Lutheran University (Tacoma, Wa.)
- Refugees -- Kenya.
- Rendille (African people)
- Rendille (language)
- Rift Valley Academy (Kijabe, Kenya)
- Slums -- Nairobi.
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Wycliffe Bible Translators.
- Collection 508 Oral History Interviews with Barbara L. Collins
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note