Collection 459 Records of Fellowship Foundation
Scope and Contents
Correspondence, reports, minutes of meetings, reference files, clippings, newsletters and other material related to the work of the Foundation (also known as International Christian leadership) which involved developing small group prayer fellowships, especially among government, business and academic leaders.
There is a great deal of information on the United States and other countries. Also documented is the group's involvement in various community development, patriotic, and personal growth projects.
- Created: 1937-1988, n.d.
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on use of Fellowship Foundation materials in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Permission is required from the Fellowship Foundation to obtain copies of audio or video recordings. Contact the BGC Archives for the permission form.
Biographical or Historical Information
Fellowship of people concerned to provide a means for intimate small group sharing and prayer, especially for leaders in government and businness; the organization grew out of Abraham Vereide's work in Seattle in the mid-1930s, but from 1944 on was based in Washington D.C.; organizational structure was a secondary consideration when compared with the importance of informal contacts and understandings between participants; group was called by a variety of names, including International Christian Leadership and Fellowship Foundation; the branch in the U.S. was the most active, but there were similar fellowships in all parts of the world; the group's most visible activity was the National Prayer Breakfast in the United States and other countries, but was also involved in a wide variety of less publicized educational, philantropic, networking and discipleship programs; important leaders include Richard Halverson, Douglas Coe, Frank Carlson, Mark Hatfield, Harold Hughes, among others.
240.00 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Other Descriptive Information
Researchers use this collection by the box instead of by the folder. Restricted folders will be removed from boxes before they are given to researchers.
- African American clergy.
- Anti-communist movements -- United States.
- Anti-communist movements.
- Athletes -- United States
- Athletes -- United States -- Religious life.
- Belief and doubt.
- Bell, James F.
- Bible -- Devotional use.
- Bright, Bill.
- Bush, George, 1924-2018.
- Carlson, Frank, 1893-1987.
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Catholic Church.
- Catholic Church. -- United States.
- Christian education of adults.
- Christian giving.
- Christian leadership.
- Christianity and culture -- United States.
- Christianity and justice.
- Christianity and politics.
- Church and social problems.
- Church and state.
- Cities and towns.
- City Chapel (Seattle, Wash.)
- Coe, Douglas E.
- College students -- United States
- College students -- United States -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Colson, Charles W.
- Communism and Christianity.
- Dead Sea scrolls.
- Dellenback, John R., 1918-2002.
- Ecumenical movement.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969.
- Evangelicalism -- Africa.
- Evangelicalism -- Asia.
- Evangelicalism -- Australia.
- Evangelicalism -- Europe.
- Evangelicalism -- Latin America.
- Evangelicalism -- North America.
- Evangelicalism -- Oceania.
- Evangelicalism -- South America.
- Evangelicalism -- United States.
- Evangelistic work -- Washington (D.C.)
- Fellowship Foundation (Washington, D.C.)
- Fellowship House.
- Ford, Gerald R., 1913-2006.
- Fourth Presbyterian Church (Bethesda, Md.)
- Gedat, Gustav Adolf.
- Graham, Billy, 1918-2018.
- Grubb, Norman P.
- Haines, Wallace.
- Halverson, Richard C.
- Hatfield, Mark O.
- Heyn, Fred.
- Hughes, Harold E. (Harold Everett), 1922 1996.
- Indians of North America.
- Institute for Christian Leadership.
- Interdenominational cooperation.
- International Christian Leadership.
- International Council for Christian Leadership.
- Jaycees International.
- Jones, E. Stanley
- Jordan, Barbara,
- Kennedy, D. James.
- Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
- Legislators -- United States.
- Leyameyer, Karlis.
- Michelet, Edmond,
- National Committee for Christian Leadership.
- Nixon, Richard M. (Richard Milhous), 1913-1994
- Orr, J. Edwin, 1912-
- Prayer breakfasts -- United States.
- Prayer breakfasts.
- Prayer groups -- United States.
- Prayer groups.
- Presbyterians -- United States.
- Presidents -- United States.
- Prison Fellowship.
- Prisoners -- Religious life.
- Quie, Albert H., 1923-
- Reagan, Ronald.
- Religion and politics.
- Religious institutions.
- Schaeffer, Francis A. (Francis August)
- Sermons, American -- 20th century.
- Sermons, American.
- Sheen, Fulton J.
- Silverthorn, Merwin Hancock,
- Skinner, Tom, 1942-
- Social justice.
- Ten Boom, Corrie.
- Thurmond, Strom, 1902 2003.
- Trueblood, D. Elton,
- United States -- Religion.
- Vereide, Abraham, 1886-1969.
- Vision to Action (Organization)
- Voluntarism -- Religious aspects -- United States.
- Voluntarism -- Religious aspects.
- Walter Henry Judd, 1898 1994.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Women -- Religious life.
- Youth -- United States
- Youth -- United States -- Religious life.
- Collection 459 Records of Fellowship Foundation
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note