Collection 493 Oral History Interviews with Stella Kasirye
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Stella Kasirye in which she describes her childhood in Uganda; her conversion to Christian faith while at school; her involvement in programs to reach street children; her efforts to develop programs of AIDS education and care among college students and the country at large, and observations on the church in Uganda and missionary efforts there. The time period covered by the interviews is 1965 to 1993.
Stella Kasirye was interviewed by Robert Shuster in September and November, 1993 at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1993
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection
Full Name: Stella Nagitta Kasirye
Birth: September 26, 1965, in Uganda
Parents: Baker Kasirye and Alice Kakosa [?]. Her stepmother was Eva Kasirye.
Marital Status: Single
Conversion: September 1981
1972-1978 - Attended Gayaza Junior School, Uganda
1980-1986 - Attended Mt. St. Mary's College, Namagunga, Uganda
1986-1989 - Graduated Makerere University (Uganda) with a B.A. in Social Work
1993-1994 - Graduated Wheaton College Graduate School (United States) with an M.A. in Educational Ministries
1989 - Public relations assistant for the Kampala Evangelical School of Theology
1989-1991 - Worked on National Aids Control Programme as Information Officer
1991 - Assistant lecturer in social work at Makerere University
1991-? Fellowship of Christian Unions AIDS program coordinator. Work involved developing a Christian response to AIDS.
?-1997 - HIV/AIDS initiative coordinator in Uganda for World Relief
1997 - HIV/AIDS coordinator for World Relief, based in Malawi
4 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Billy Graham Center Archives by Stella Kasirye in 1993.
November 19, 2002
- AIDS (Disease)
- Amin, Idi, 1925-2003.
- Baptists -- Missions -- Uganda.
- Baptists -- Missions.
- Church and social problems -- Uganda.
- Church and social problems.
- Church and state -- Uganda.
- Church and state.
- Church attendance -- Uganda.
- Church attendance.
- Church growth
- Church growth -- Uganda.
- Church work with children -- Uganda.
- Church work with children.
- Church work with students -- Uganda.
- Church work with students.
- College students -- Uganda
- College students -- Uganda -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Evangelistic work -- Uganda.
- Evangelistic work.
- Fellowship of Christian Unions (Uganda)
- Kasirye, Stella.
- Kivengere, Festo.
- Marshall, Catherine, 1914-1983.
- Missionaries -- Training of.
- Missionaries, African.
- Missions -- Uganda.
- Revivals -- Africa, East.
- Scripture Union.
- Self-acceptance -- Christianity.
- Social service
- Social service -- Christianity.
- Street children
- Street children -- Uganda.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women in church work.
- Collection 493 Oral History Interviews with Stella Kasirye
- Bob Shuster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script