Collection 521 Oral History Interview with Nancy Duarte-Gomez
Scope and Contents
Oral history interviews with Nancy Duarte-Gomez, a Chilean staffworker with Grupo Biblico Universitario de Chile (GBU, InterVarsity sister movement). Duarte describes her childhood and youth, education, religious background, conversion and spiritual development, the church in Chile, training with Youth With A Mission (YWAM), ministry among students, GBU and its connection to International Fellowship of Evangelical Students (IFES), the country's political climate and its impact on the church, the church's addressing social needs and issues (especially outreach and evangelism to prostitutes and poor students), liberation theology, cooperation among churches, comparisons between Chile's GBU and InterVarsity (US) movements, comparison of Chilean and American Evangelical churches, Wheaton’s psychology MA, her experience of American churches, Wheaton College Revival in 1995. The time period covered by the interviews is 1961 to 1995.
Nancy Duarte-Gomez was interviewed by Paul Ericksen on June 27 and 28 1995, at the Billy Graham Center Archives at Wheaton College.
- Created: 1995
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
The copyright to the sound recordings in this collection is held by the Wheaton College Billy Graham Center Archives.
Full Name: Nancy de las Mercedes Duarte-Gomez
Birth: June 18, 1961, Talcahuano, Chile
Parents: Julio Duarte and Olga Gomez
Siblings: Two brothers and five sisters, one other brother deceased before her birth
Marital Status: Single
Conversion: 1978 while a sixteen-year-old high school student
1979 - Participated in YWAM's first Discipleship Training School in Chile for five months
1981-1985 Universidad Austral de Chile, degree as a Teacher of the Handicapped, specializing in speech and hearing impairment.
1985 - Participated in IFES's (International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) one-month international training program in Quito, Ecuador.
1988 - Invited by Haggai Institute for Advanced Leadership Training to month-long women's session of Third World leaders in Singapore
1989 - Attended London Institute for Contemporary Christianity for its three-month
4 Audio Tapes
Language of Materials
Accruals and Additions
The materials in this collection were given to the Archives of the Billy Graham Center by Nancy Duarte-Gomez in June 1995.
June 18 , 2008
- Catholic Church
- Catholic Church -- Chile.
- Catholic Church -- Evangelicalism.
- Chile -- Politics and government
- Chile -- Politics and government -- 1970-1973.
- Chile -- Politics and government -- 1973-1988.
- Chile -- Social conditions
- Chile -- Social conditions -- 1970-
- Christian leadership.
- Church and social problems -- Chile.
- Church and social problems.
- Church and state -- Chile.
- Church and state.
- Church work with students -- Chile.
- Church work with students.
- College students -- Religious life -- Chile.
- College students -- Religious life.
- College students.
- Conversion -- Personal narratives.
- Duarte-Gomez, Nancy.
- Education, Higher
- Education, Higher -- Chile.
- Evangelicalism -- Chile.
- Evangelistic work -- Chile.
- Evangelistic work.
- Grupo Biblico Universitario de Chile.
- Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship.
- Interdenominational cooperation -- Chile.
- Interdenominational cooperation.
- International Fellowship of Evangelical Students.
- Liberation theology -- Chile.
- Liberation theology.
- Missionaries -- Appointment, call, and election.
- Padilla, C. Rene.
- Part-time missionaries.
- Pinochet Ugarte, Augusto.
- Wheaton College (Ill.)
- Women -- Religious life.
- Women missionaries.
- Youth -- Religious life
- Youth -- Religious life -- Chile.
- Collection 521 Oral History Interview with Nancy Duarte-Gomez
- Paul Ericksen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Roman Script